Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Definitely a WOW! story

Okay, I've mentioned this story to lots of other moms, especially whenever we hear about a woman giving birth when she didn't know she was pregnant. Our initial response, as moms, is "Are you KIDDING me?" Clearly that woman was immature, in denial, etc.

But the mom in this story was 31 at the time, married for five years, and employed. And still, she didn't know she was pregnant until she was in labor and dilated 8 cm. Here's the full story, which popped up on the Parenting homepage as an article of interest - I'm so glad! Because I think a lot of people (ahem, Aaron) think I make stuff up 'cause it sounds sensational - and I'm happy to report that the version of this story that I've been repeating is highly accurate to the original. So there.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

That is still a crazy story. I love how people asked her if she was pregnant and she said, "No, I'm just fat." Oh the crow she must have eaten.

Of course, it's great that the baby and mom are healthy, because otherwise it wouldn't be funny at all.

JJ and EJ said...

This seriously happened to a gal JJ used to work with! It kind of creeped me out... I thought there were serious denial issues, but I guess the gal in this article seems like a pretty well-adjusted individual. Good thing everything turned out well in the end, like Aaron said! The gal's baby at JJ's work has FAS, which is really sad. : (

Anonymous said...

Actually, that would kind of be a good way to do it. You don't even realize you're pregnant, you don't get sick or have that awful woozy feeling. And you don't stress out about eating the wrong things. I can't imagine how you could NOT know you're pregnant, but if it could happen to me, I think it might be less stress and worry than normal. :)