Friday, February 26, 2010

Between crying jags

Let's be clear: The phrase, "When Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy," may be correct, but it could also be expanded to add, "and an unhappy baby ain't no fun, neither!" Adam currently is absolutely miserable, which may give you some clue into the state of our household the last few days. The poor guy is in the middle of his fourth (or fifth? we've lost count) bout of bronchiolitis PLUS is cutting at least two teeth, the big honkers right in front on top. I just spent the last hour holding and cuddling (after a dose of Tylenol), to no avail. Now it seems he has cried himself to sleep upstairs.

*************************************************
My counter is full of dirty dishes. But instead I am here, ignoring them. That is all.

*************************************************
I have taken on a "volunteer project", as Aaron likes to say, setting up an Etsy store for my mom. She is selling adorable little baby jackets - I'm telling you, super cute. And since Mom's standard for most everything is perfection, you can bet that these are high-quality items. I may contribute a few smaller items later on...when I get on a sewing streak again.

Anyway, it has proven more time-consuming than I'd thought. Hopefully it will be easier now that I've got the basics more or less figured out. Want to check out the store? It's called LizzyMaye - and I promise, I did not pick out the name. Mom did. And if she wants to name the store after her daughter, who am I to object?

I only have one item listed so far, but more will follow. Friend Tara is helping out with photos, so hopefully they'll be some beautiful examples soon...:)

*************************************************
Ben has hit a streak of independence (dresses himself, brushes his teeth, undies 24/7, no booster seat at the table, puts on own shoes & jacket). Also, a streak of incessant whining and outright disobedience. For instance, I will say, "Ben, do NOT flip the light switch!" and he flips that switch. Which, for this family, warrants a swat on the rear. THAT particular swat was on an undies-only rear, which surprised him a little. And last night, he decided that the slices of steamed carrots offended him so much that the two of them could NOT remain on his plate (he didn't even have to eat them...just leave them on the plate!) even after two warnings. That got him a time out. He came back and did as asked...and then ended up eating not only those two bites, but seconds & thirds as well. Turkey.

*************************************************
Leah had her second parent/teacher conference last night. As she told us earlier, her "report card" has all S's (satisfactory) but one S-, because she holds her pencil the wrong way. Such are the perils of kindergarten. She also had an S+, for "I participate willingly". Mrs. D, her wonderful teacher, actually got teary-eyed when describing how Leah helps classmates without being asked and is a kind & loving friend. This is a huge relief, since the social aspect was my main concern for her heading to school. Of course, whenever I see her with friends, I notice all the things she does "wrong" - which are probably all normal issues for five-year-olds just figuring out how to appropriately interact with other human beings. Anyway, I was happy to hear that my big girl is being a good friend.

**************************************************
Aaron will be gone for several days next week (he says four days, I say "a week" - who's to say which is true?:) at a conference to work - which happens to be in (or near? Not sure if it's a town or what) Keystone, CO. Two of his brothers are going with to share the snowboarding adventures. Meanwhile I will be at home enjoying my alone time. And oh, do I have projects planned! Mom has dedicated next week to me and the kids, and first on the list is sewing new valances for the kitchen windows. Then, I would also like to sew curtains for two of the windows in the "big room". And in the spare minutes, I'm hoping to get started on Ben's 1-2 year album. These are my goals. I will be fairly pleased to accomplish one of them.

**************************************************

Some housekeeping: I am now on Twitter and have a fanpage on Facebook. Have you joined yet? I'm contemplating a giveaway just for followers here on Blogger and fans on Facebook - so if that would describe you, go add Modern-Day Jane right away!

No comments: