Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I just want to be happy.

Apparently, not many of you are fans of romantic comedies. Well, here's why I AM.

I watch movies to be entertained. I don't want to feel depressed- or sad in general- when I'm done. I don't even really want to have to think too deeply.

Books are another thing. I'll read serious, in-depth novels, and avoid the chic-lit fluff almost entirely. (Except for Bridget Jones. And The Nanny Diaries.) I think it has to do with the time investment.

I like rom-coms BECAUSE they are predictable. But the best ones aren't TOO much so...I'm picky, see? Or, maybe you totally know what the general plot line is, but the characters grow and change a bit in the process, and become better, happier people. I like this insight into our humanity.

Here are a few of my favorites. All the Jane Austen and Shakespeare movies should go without saying, so I won't. And I'm no movie snob, so I'm not guaranteeing the quality. Just so you know.

Bridget Jones' Diary, natch.
The Cutting Edge - Came out during high school, and I swear I saw it 10 times - mostly at school, since it's pretty clean. It's got the formula of a classic romantic movie- meet, fight, fight some more, big kiss at the end. Aahh.
Hope Floats - I don't like the ending (not married/engaged? C'mon.) but Harry Connick Jr. is pretty great, and the soundtrack is awesome.
The Princess Bride - Classic. And completely quotable, if you're into that sort of thing.
50 First Dates - Not an Adam Sandler fan, but this one was so cute. I wish that darn Rob Schneider would stay out of it, though. Along with all the F-bombs.
French Kiss - Meg Ryan & Keven Kline. And an accent. Mon Dieu!
Fever Pitch - that Jimmy Fallon is so adorable! Another Drew Barrymore film, too...
Stanger Than Fiction - Not a Will Ferrell fan either, but this is a great movie! AND Emma Thompson is in it!
Pretty Woman - Okay, it's practically a classic, but still. She's a hooker. This movie totally romanticizes that life, but I still love Julia Roberts in it.
Speaking of...Notting Hill is one of my favs, too.
Just Like Heaven - Reese Witherspoon & Mark Ruffalo (who's handsome but not TOO handsome, you know what I mean?) Yeah, it's a bit like the Patrick Swayze/Demi Moore standard Ghost, but I still really like it. And the happy ending.

Okay, that's most of them. Do you have a favorite that would fit this genre? Or one you think I should have listed? Let me know. But please, if it has Kate Hudson in it (or Matthew McConaughey for that matter) don't bother. They're cute and all, but I guess this is where I get snobby.

4 comments:

1 Craaazy Mamma! said...

I tend to agree with your list, especially Hope Floats, great soundtrack! Real life is too complicated and who has the time to be concerned about the drama and unpredictability in movies??

But, I have to say that Matthew M. is something to keep on the list, he's so yummy! (he can entertain me any time) Ha!

. said...

i prefer to invest under an hour in predictable story lines.

ugly betty: the romances in here are AMAZING. and you can watch it online.

sex in the city: at least 50% of them got married.

arrested development: are maybe and john michael cousins? not related? will buster and lucille 2 get together? and what about marla?! so, so good.

duh, the office. the best office romances. EVAR.

Aaron said...

Arrested Development, definitely. Especially because Maebe tries to distract herself from her crush on her cousin by making out with... her cousin. Steve Holt!

Anonymous said...

Quite possibly the best line ever: "Yes, Doug can read."

:-) Crystal's friend, Laura