Friday, July 11, 2008

My Sweet Blabbermouth

A couple of conversations today with my eldest child, 4 year old Leah:

In the van:

Leah: "I think I would like to get some kittens some day."
Me: "Yeah? Well, maybe one. They grow up to be cats you know!"
Leah: laughing..."Uh huh! Or maybe a puppy."
Me: "No, I don't think we'll ever get a puppy."
Leah: "Why not?"
Me: "Cause Mommy & Daddy don't really like puppies."
Leah: "Why not?"
Me: "Cause you have to pick up poop..."
Leah: "Where do cats go...to the bathroom?"

Then we had a lengthy discussion about the benefits of litter boxes. But what I loved was how carefully she chose the word "bathroom". It was like, she wasn't sure if cats go "potty" and "poopy".

Later, at the new house:

Leah: "I'm going to open every cabinet and drawer, okay?"
Me: "OH-kay."
Leah: "Well, all of them that I can reach, that is."

I swear to you, she said "that is". She's going to be the most pretentious-sound kindergartner ev-ah.

2 comments:

Noel said...

While someone has to pick up the dog poop, don't forget that with house cat's someone has to scoop the litter box! We can provide some training ;-)

As is well known, indoor hygene is one of the superior features of cats to dogs. Gotta wonder about my co-workers who have to leave mid-day in -40/blizzard/hail storm/tornado to let their dogs out to go to the bathroom. I guess that also implies cat owners have superior intelligence to dog owners....

I wonder who old Leah needs to be to join POEM, the Professional Organization of English Majors as advertised on Prairie Home Companion?

JJ and EJ said...

You must have some stored up, because you're officially at 191 from your counter on the side. : )