Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's still good, I promise!

Aaron and I have been married for eight years, and I've spent a portion of that time informing him that certain foods don't go bad. At least not very. OR not without warning.

He doesn't even argue anymore - just shakes his head, kind of like when you humor the crazy person talking to you at the store. You know those people. The ones who start telling you all sorts of private stuff and/or asking you questions...I think they are mostly just lonely. And weird. While working at Barnes & Noble, I once had a lady lift her shirt to display her pregnant belly. "Don't you think I'm having twins?" HOW DO YOU ANSWER THAT?

But I digress.

Here is a short list of foods that never go bad, at least not within the expected time and/or without bells and whistles:

yogurt (it's spoiled milk, dude! How much more "bad" can it get?)

soup (I almost only make vegetarian soups, by the way, so this helps!)

garlic

juice - it may turn into wine, but that's not bad. Orange juice will let you know when it's too old.

eggs - last much longer than expected.

cheese - just slice off the green & white spots, and you're good to go!

cream cheese

frosting - WAYYY too much sugar to go bad. It's like honey that way, and we all know that honey is good for literally centuries, right?

olives - they are sitting in the food version of formaldyhyde. Not very appetizing, but a preservative, none-the-less.

jam/jelly - of course, I think it's bad if it has stray peanut butter in it...but that's another post.

almost any condiment...just take a good whiff first.


One of the great things about having a blog is that you go searching the Internet for information you never would normally have even considered. Google is my friend. And I found this site, which actually supports my list! Somewhat. He also says to put only the most nutritious (read: freshest) foods in our body, so that bottle of salad dressing I moved with us from Rochester 3 1/2 years ago should probably get tossed. Boo.

No comments: